Top 10 Tips for a Better Move
Moving house can be a stressful and busy time. Here are a few of our top tips to make your move a little easier.
1. Book your removalists. Do this as a matter of priority to make sure you can move on your preferred time and day. You’ll need cleaning time, post move, so leave yourself enough time to go back and tidy up the old place.
2. Prior to your move, clean out as much of your old and unwanted goods as you can. It’s amazing how much can accumulate. Sell, donate, recycle and book a council pick-up for the rest.
3. Make sure you don’t lose track of your old or new set of house keys. Put a Pebblebee on each keyring. Then if you lose sight of either set in the mess of boxes and belongings you’ll be able to beep them for easier and faster recovery. You can even get other family members to download the Pebblebee app, to help you look for your tagged item if it goes missing.
4. Buy a good handheld tape dispenser and spare rolls of tape. It makes box assembly a lot faster. Australia Post offices can be a good source for these.
5. Start packing. It always takes longer than you think it will.
6. Buy or borrow robe boxes for everything in your wardrobe and hang as much of your clothes as you can. Boxes that enable you to hang clothes will save loads of time.
7. Setup a redirect for your mail. Update your details with relevant institutions like your bank, Medicare, the Tax Office and super funds. You’ll need to update your driver’s licence with your new address.
8. Have a moving day box or bag packed with all the everyday things you’ll need like toothpaste, bed sheets, cash and the like. If you can’t face unpacking straight away, at least you’ll have the essentials without having to search through numerous boxes.
9. Put coloured stickers on the cords and corresponding points of contact on your appliances, like those that setup your home entertainment system. This will make setup a lot faster in the new place. It may also help to take a photo of the existing setup, before packing it for reference.
10. For items that need to be disassembled and reassembled, put the smaller pieces in a zip lock bag with the relevant Allen key and tape to the inside of the furniture.
Wishing you a stress free move.